Wednesday, February 3, 2010

PRK Post-op Day 7- a summation of all the important points: asymmetry, tissue and moisture

Day 7

Ode to not having the big eye, small eye effect anymore. For the last 4 months, since I had PRK on my left eye, I’ve walked around with an even more than usual asymmetrical face. Now, at least my eyes are almost the same size again through lenses.

I had one more episode of very sharp pain and eye watering late in the night on Day 2 (early morning Day 3) that seemed to last for half an hour despite artificial tears. Probably my eye mocking me for thinking the pain was over. I also experienced hyperesthesia where all of my sensory fibers seemed to be in overdrive. My whole body seemed to itch all over, so I put on lotion. No valium here. I presume it was due to the last of my new nerve fibers grasping at my contact lens or maybe my eye was drying out. I felt much better upon waking up though my eye still felt like there was sand in it most of the time and my nose would run frequently. Good tissue like Puffs Plus is quite helpful. By 72 hours, most of the eye irritation and light sensitivity appeared to be gone. Sleeping without goggles was also a great improvement; I guess they just don’t fit my face.

I went to my one week follow-up today. The vision check went well and the dang contact is finally out of my eye. It served a great purpose, but for some reason I feel like my eye is finally able to breath again. One downside is I went from 20/25 vision to haziness. A slight setback related to a bunch of healing cells being removed with the lens that will hopefully correct again in the next few days. Now if my vision can stabilize quicker than in 3 weeks. Work will be sort of difficult if I can only see a computer screen well every few hours. I haven’t had too much shadow effect, double vision (of which I still have no idea why this occurs) or night halos which some people will experience. Lastly, don’t underestimate the importance of moisturizing eye drops. This is sort of similar to the effect Vaseline has on a cut, just don’t macerate the wound and it will heal quicker. I bid you adieu till hopefully three more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment