Friday, January 29, 2010

PRK Day 2: Some pain, Federer, mattresses and IZ

Day 2
I had one episode yesterday evening where my right eye seemed to spasm for a few seconds. I blame it on using Facebook too much and then turning to the right and looking right into the overhead light in my study by accident. After applying some Artificial Tears and turning off the lights, I was ok again.

I didn’t sleep too well at night. I was trying to decide if it was the goggles, mattress, or Federer vs Tsonga match. After waking up at 5am and noting that Federer easily won, I still tossed and turned. I’ll flip the mattress tonight to rule out one more variable.

I made it back to the eye clinic for my one day follow-up. The ophthalmologist was mostly checking to see if my cornea is healing properly and that the contact is in place. I wonder if some of the people who have had horror stories with pain didn’t have one of these barrier contacts.

I recalled listening to Iz’s Somewhere Over the Rainbow during the procedure. Great song if you’ve never heard it, very soothing.

I was already mentally preparing myself for the tearing that will happen tonight. That is likely because my cornea will have healed enough that nerve fibers will start touching the contact. Better the contact than the air, I always say.

Around 5pm, a little over 28 hours after my procedure, I started having quite a bit of irritation. I tried some drops and the gnawing pain only decreased a bit, so off I went too lay down in a dark room. After a short nap, I awoke to find the pain gone. If I’m lucky like last time, the pain will only last a little longer, and I’ll only need a dark room and rest. A little ironic regarding how much I dislike taking medicine.

If I don’t post much between now and this Wednesday, that’s probably good thing because that means nothing noteworthy happened until my one week follow-up, i.e. my contact falls out, earth shattering pain, or wild swings in my vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment